Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, July 27, 2007

    Can I Start A Bottled Water Company?

    Yep, I've been on a sporadic hiatus.  Between holidays, working two jobs and doing freelance work (expect yet another announcement soon, as I started this project a few weeks earlier), visits, and everything else, my posting has been going down... this in spite of ReaperCat, drunken astronauts , Lindsey Lohan, and the newest Harry Potter book.  How I've been able to keep from posting is beyond me.  I must have been asleep.
     
    But what finally makes me post again this week?
     
     
    PepsiCo Inc. will spell out that its Aquafina bottled water is made with tap water, a concession to the growing environmental and political opposition to the bottled water industry. According to Corporate Accountability International, a U.S. watchdog group, the world's No. 2 beverage company will include the words "Public Water Source" on Aquafina labels.
     
    Via CNN.
     
    Seriously, I'm all about the importance of water.  I live in a pretty high altitude, where water just... leaves.  It's here, then it's not, and if you don't hydrate, well, you've got problems.  But I am most certainly NOT a fan of bottled water.  Why?
     
    Think about this.
     
    Water and plastic.
    First, it's lukewarm.  Then it travels.  The water and the plastic bottle heat up.
    Then it arrives at it's destination, and goes into a freezer, where it suddenly becomes cold.
     
    Then it goes into another location.  It's hot again. 
    Then it's cold again.
     
    After who knows how many iterations of hot and cold this water becomes, one seriously has to think, what is the chemical impact on the water actually in this plastic (meaning made from petroleum products) bottle by the time you drink it?  Have you ever gotten a bottle of water that tasted... different?  I have.
     
    And speaking of petroleum, I'm not crazy about that either.
     
    So I don't buy bottled water anymore.  Love me some tap water, though.  Apparently, so does PepsiCo.  So do yourself a favor.
     
    1.  Buy a metal water bottle.
    2.  Turn on your faucet and fill it up.
    3.  Think of the $1.09 you just saved versus buying the bottled stuff.
    4.  Profit.
     
    Sure, South Park fans, I added a step.  But at least now you know how to get the "Profit" part of the plan.
     

    1 Comment:

    Unknown said...

    Clark - Oh, so true. We live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains @ 6500' and, yes, you need to hydrate more often than the flat landers do. The water that comes out of our tap is so much more tastier than any bottled water. Ever wonder why bottled water has an expiration date? PCP's man. Great article. Thanks for the wonderful sense of humor. We need more of that.

    Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
    Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro
    Modified Layout with buttons by Clark
    Computers Blogs - Blog Top Sites