Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, June 26, 2006

    The Bane of Existence

     
    COLUMBUS, Ohio - A man made a mockery of the justice system when he tried to get removed from a jury pool in a death penalty case by claiming he is a heroin addict and a killer, a judge said.
     
    Benjamin Ratliffe, 21, of Columbus, was charged with contempt of court and obstruction of justice and ordered to spend a night in jail.
     
     
    Yahoo News.  However, if you really want to read some hilarious reponses to this, head over to Fark.

    I am not a big fan of the American system of justice, for several reasons:
     
    1.  If have enough money, you can almost always beat the rap, unless it's insider trading, fraud, or tax evasion.
    2.  The death penalty is a travesty of American justice, because it disproportonately is used against minorities and the poor.  States shouldn't be in death business, anyway.
    3.  I actually went to law school for a little while, and it was probably my biggest mistake.  True quote from an attorney friend of mine:  "Clark, you seem like a nice guy.  Why the hell would you want to be a lawyer?!"
     
    Granted, the American legal system is still probably one of the best, if not the best, in the world.  But let's be real.  The rich people make all the rules.  That's it.
     
    Of course, I've never had jury duty.  I hear that's it's horrific, however.
     
    I'd like to think that I'd go if called.
     
    But, you know, sometimes I'm not quite sure.

    1 Comment:

    Anonymous said...

    I served jury on drug/murder trial, it was fascinating. I was glad the defendent was outright guilty, I'd hate to be in the box if there were any doubt.

    Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
    Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro
    Modified Layout with buttons by Clark
    Computers Blogs - Blog Top Sites