Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, November 17, 2006

    Day Of The Robot

    The dawn of the Robot Age draws ever nearer.

    Oh great. As if the potent, robotic cocktail of self-replication, self-awareness, and wireless power weren't bad enough, along comes Cornell University with a robot capable of not only discovering its own nature (something we can't even do) but then adapts to overcome injury. This four-legged robot starts out knowing only what parts it has, not where they are or how to use them for locomotion. It applies a scientific method of theory and experimentation to develop computer models and ultimately, a set of commands to turn its motors for that first cautious step. Even when researchers remove part of the toddling robot's leg, the little guy still figures out a way to limp forward.

    Check it out! Engadget! They can still bring the goods.

    Notes to self:
    1. Incorporate company called Cyberdyne Systems, vigorously defend name of said organization through the legal system.
    2. Develop network of contacts throughout the Western Hemisphere where, if necessary, I could hide out.
    3. Find, and warn, Sarah Connor.

    Actually, I wasn't about to use that overworked cliché, but it was just too much for me and I had to.

    All that being aside, Cornell does it again. That's pretty interesting. The question is, can I make that robot clean my house? Will it abide by the Three Laws of Robotics? Should I be worried?

    I want one.

    1 Comment:

    Anonymous said...

    can I send the robot to work OT & collect my check?

    Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
    Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro
    Modified Layout with buttons by Clark
    Computers Blogs - Blog Top Sites