Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, November 13, 2006

    Gay Marriage

    Top ten reasons why gay marriage should be illegal.  Tongue firmly in cheek, of course.  Here were three of my favorites.
     
    02) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

    03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

    04) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all like many of the principles on which this great country was founded; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

    Via Stopgeek.com.  Ha!
     
    I had an interesting discussion with someone this week about gay marriage; we debated the theory from opposing points of view.  However, I went away feeling disoriented and disillusioned, simply because I can't for the life of me figure out why gay marriage should be illegal.  It simply doesn't resonate with my worldview.  In my opinion, it seems that gay people should have the same right to get married and die as happy (or unhappy) as your average, everyday straight person.  Maybe I'm nuts, but marriage would seem to be a basic human right.
     
    It would seem, anyway.
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    re: 02) must mean that married couples who had gay children encouraged them to be homosexual. I didn't know dogs could sign marriage contracts.

    Anonymous said...

    my gay sister's been with the same woman for the last 12 years, which is longer than alot of "normal" marriages. She's far more concerned about Iraq and the economy than gay marriage, but I'd like her and her partner to have that right.

    Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
    Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro
    Modified Layout with buttons by Clark
    Computers Blogs - Blog Top Sites